AS WE APPROACH Acts 2:42-47 in our series, The Revolution, we are going to pop up our tents and camp here a while—for six weeks to be precise. The reason for this “extended stay” is that these verses provide a clear snap shot of a contagious (in a good sense!) church—a community whose influence was irresistible and compelling. People were drawn to it like a magnet and deeply affected by its message. Why was this church so contagious? And how can we experience the same dynamics in our own context, for the glory of God and good of our neighbors? How can we become a contagious church? This is a question that is so significant that I don’t want to rush by it in one message. For a new church like Creekstone, the question mandates that we slow down and work out the implications, which I think are going to be… revolutionary!
THE PASSAGE: Acts 2:42-47
42 They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. 43 Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles. 44 All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45 Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. 46 Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47 praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.
THE SIX PRIMARY CHARACTERISTICS of the contagious church. We’ll cover one per Sunday through Easter. And of course, each one is fueled by the indwelling presence and power of the Holy Spirit.
- Complete Devotion (v. 42). They were fully devoted disciples of Jesus.
- Supernatural Expectation (v. 43). They expected God to work in supernatural ways.
- Radical Generosity (vv. 44-45). They shared resources and met practical needs.
- Relational Interdependency (v. 46). They lived life together.
- Palpable Joy (v. 47). They possessed an inner gratitude that expressed itself in outward praise.
- Continuous Growth – (v. 48). They were an incubator for new spiritual life.
THIS SUNDAY we’ll look at characteristic #1: “Complete Devotion”
THE OUTLINE for the message:
- The Look of Complete Devotion – What does the fully devoted disciple of Jesus look like?
- The Lack of Complete Devotion – Why am I not a fully devoted disciple of Jesus?
- The Leverage for Complete Devotion – What will compel me to become a fully devoted disciple of Jesus?