Fight Club ’09
Round 4 • Galatians 4:3-7 / “Adoption: From Slavery to Sonship”
3 In the same way we also, when we were children, were enslaved to the elementary principles of the world. 4 But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, 5 to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. 6 And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!” 7 So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God. (ESV)I. The Gospel Has Legal, Relational, Existential and Eschatological Aspects
II. How does human adoption work? How is this an analogy for spiritual adoption?III. A Key Passage in the Bible- Galatians 4:3-7
- v. 3- Before sonship (“Formerly”- v. 8)
- v. 4- The fullness of time
- v. 5- Redemption (I am no longer a servant/slave!)
- v. 6- The Spirit —> “Abba”
- v. 7- An heir of God
- * See also Ephesians 1:3-14
IV. Implications and Applications…
- What are symptoms of spiritual orphanhood or slavery?
- What will it mean for me to “live like a child”?
- How does spiritual adoption deal with issues of identity?
- How does it relate to prayer? (read A Praying Life by Paul Miller- wow, what a great, helpful book!)
- Where am I on the slave vs. son continuum?